This Public Safety Unit (PUAFIR201B) is designed to enable staff to competently identify, avoid, review and evaluate workplace risks and hazards.
It ensures staff can competently maintain personal safety and report to supervisors and team members. This unit is accredited as an elective for persons studying for a Certificate IV in Public Safety (Defence, Policing PUA40702) or it is a core unit for Certificate II in Public Safety (Firefighting & Emergency Operations PUA20701) and Certificate II in Public Safety (Firefighting & Emergency Operations PUA20601) under Emergency Response Category it is an “initial response” skill.
Learning Outcomes (Key Elements):
- Identify workplace hazards and risks and advise others
- Implement hazard control procedures
- Review effectiveness of hazard control procedures
- Participate in the implementation of OH&S in the work place.
Upon satisfactory completion of this unit, the participant will be able to:
- Follow procedures to identify workplace hazards and risks and to deal with them in accordance with OH&S guidelines and company procedures
- Ensure contact with crew members is maintained at all times
- Report hazards in the workplace to designated personnel and stressful situations are recognised and support is sought to minimize the effect
- Choose personal protective equipment, ensure it is selected, worn to suit the risk and follow instructions to control the risks and hazards
- Ensure personal health is protected, correct controls and equipment is utilized to minimise environmental damage
- Make sure workers/team members receive food, drinks and rest breaks and maintain their personal safety
- Monitor hazard controls, report incident conditions to supervisor as soon as possible and identify conditions which may lead to risks of property and environment
- Raise OH&S issues to responsible persons and contribute to new procedures where required and to ensure activities and debriefings are conducted to alleviate occupational stress
Nationally Recognised Training:
These courses are part of a nationally recognised Public Safety Training Package (PUA00). Information about nationally recognised training can be found through the Training.gov.au web site. Training.gov.au is the official national register of information on Training Packages, Qualifications, Courses, Units of Competency and Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). www.training.gov.au/
This unit conforms to the requirements for competency under various State Work Health and Safety Legislation.